Question

Understanding ranking poll metrics

• 19 April 2022
  • 4 replies

I would like to understand what the numbers on the side of these results (circled in red) mean from our latest polls. Here is the view of what is showing on our dashboard. Our previous session results were shown in percentages. The settings for this one is in percentage. These don’t seem to make sense percentage wise...

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @molmarti

If I understand correctly the screenshot, this is from a ranking poll, right? 

Let me share our explanation based on an example of a poll with 3 options and 3 people voting.

Participants essentially give points to each option and the higher someone ranks an option, the more points it receives. Using an example of participants needing to rank 3 options, the option ranked first receives 3 points, the second gets 2 points and the third gets 1 point.

Once voting is over, we count up these points for each option and divide it by the number of people who participated in the ranking poll. This gives us an average, ranked score for each option and the option with the highest score is the most preferred one.

• There are 3 people (A, B, C) participating in a poll that consists of three options (X, Y, Z)
  • Person A submits the options in the following order: X, Y, Z
  • Person B submits the options in the following order: Y, X, Z
  • Person C submits the options in the following order: Y, X, Z
  • Option X receives 7 points (3 + 2 + 2); Option Y receives 8 points (2 + 3 + 3); Option Z receives 3 points (1 + 1 + 1)
  • Average for Option X is 2.3 (7 divided by 3); Average for Option Y is 2.7 (8 divided by 3); Average for Option Z is 1 (3 divided by 3)
  • The final order of Options is the following: Y (2.7); X (2.3); Z (1)

In case a participant does not rank all the options, the one they did not pick automatically receives 0 points. 

Hope this helped! Let me know if you would have any questions.

Best,

@Francesca  Is there a way to make this into a percentage from this ranking? I guess that is what we wanted. I want to say x% ranked 5, x% ranked 4 and so on. But I forgot to click the “options to rank” and make it only 1 like I did in our previous poll.

@Francesca or is there a way to see how many people ranked 5 as top choice, then 4 as top choice, and then I can calculate the percentage myself?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @molmarti

There isn’t a way to change or to setup the ranking poll into percentage.

However, if you export your results you’ll be able to see how many people ranked which option and how.  In the Analytics tab, on the right corner next to Infographics select Export Results. 

Here’s more info in case you’d like to dive deeper into the subject. 

Let me know how it goes!

Best,