Question

How does the word cloud select which responses it displays?

How does word cloud select the responses it displays? I know it shows the most common responses as a bigger font but many of the responses only have 1 vote. It doesn't seem to post the most recent responses. Just asking since some responses, which had very different topics, weren't reflected on the main screen. Thanks!

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hey @Kay Gee,

You are right that the word cloud makes popular responses bigger but it also shows only up to 50 responses. Can you see if you have over 50 responses in your word cloud? This could be why the most recent ones aren’t showing up.

The word cloud also filters out words categorised as not meaningful or unacceptable. For example, the word ‘ok’ is categorised as not meaningful and so it is filtered by the algorithm and doesn’t show up. It’s set up this way to make sure that word clouds show the most meaningful responses.

Hope this helps :)

I have a similar question.

I have about 46 words that I want to be displayed but it only shows 28 of these words. It is not based on frequency as I created the word cloud and I know exactly what I entered for each unique participant entry.

(I am trying to use a word cloud to show the main harms that I have learnt from engagements).

Is there a limit on how many words there are available? How can I have more than 28?

There is nothing like ‘of’ or ‘ok’ They are all meaningful words

Cheers

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hey @Charlene ,

Here are four simple principles of the word cloud:

• Short answers work best
    Advise your participants to use one to three words when using the word cloud to get the best results. Longer phrases or sentences will be displayed, but they might cause a mixup. 

• No swearing
    Swear words won't go through at all.

• Watch the words grow
    The size of the word changes dynamically depending on how many times your attendees submit it.

• Some words that are considered ‘connector’ words, will not show
    When submitting (or advising on submitting to participants) to the Word Cloud, it’s worth keeping in mind that words we use to typically connect to other words conversationally are filtered out. Examples of such words are ‘However,’ ‘Ok,’ and ‘This.’ Our reason for the words being filtered this way is due to the Word Cloud being designed to create maximum impact visually for your participants. 

If this doesnt help with showing the remaining words, could you reach out to support@slido.com so we can take a look at the event in question to help determine why some words aren’t showing up?

Best,