Download Slido for PowerPoint on Windows for Admins

• 15 March 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

As a Windows administrator, you can install Slido for PowerPoint using our MSI file and do a bulk install for users in your organization. With available command line parameters, you can turn off update notifications for the end users or execute a silent installation.

In this article:

System requirements

You need to meet the following system requirements to install Slido for PowerPoint using our MSI file:

• Microsoft PowerPoint 2013 and later (32 or 64-bit)
  • Windows 10 21H1 and later (64-bit)
  • .NET Framework 4.6.2
  • User Account Control is enabled

Slido for PowerPoint requires at least .NET Framework 4.6.2, and it is fully supported to run on .NET Framework 4.8.

We support Microsoft Office for desktop in the Click-to-Run edition. Using PowerPoint installer in the Microsoft Store edition requires version 2201 or newer.

In general, we recommend Windows 10 21H2 release and newer. Slido for PowerPoint will also work on Windows 21H2 LTSC and Windows 20H2 Enterprise editions.

Download the installer

You can download the installer at https://www.sli.do/download-powerpoint-win-admin64

Install Slido for PowerPoint on Windows

For bulk installations, you can use the MSI file with a third-party distribution software to bulk install Slido for PowerPoint to selected users or computers.

Administrator permissions are required, as this is a per machine installation.

You can add the following command line parameter to disable update checks and prevent users from updating the Add-in to have full control over the update process.

Parameter

Value

Description

DISABLE_UPDATE_CHECKS

0 = product will check for updates (default)

1 = update checks are disabled

Do not show notifications for the users to update to the new version of the Slido Add-in.

Example: msiexec /i C:\SlidoAdmin_x64_v1.0.0.msi DISABLE_UPDATE_CHECKS=1

Where “C:\SlidoAdmin_x64_v1.0.0.msi” is the path to the MSI file downloaded to the computer.

Silent installation

We support silent installation and all the other standard Windows Installer parameters (msiexec.exe) from the command line.

Example: msiexec /i C:\SlidoAdmin_x64_v1.0.0.msi /quiet

Installing updates

We regularly release updates to Slido for PowerPoint but the major updates happen once in a quarter. To install the latest version of the Add-in, you can always find it on the link shared in the download section.

To find out what the latest version number is, you can visit slido.com/powerpoint and compare it by checking the original MSI download file stored on your computer.

Configuration

Slido for PowerPoint can be configured using Group Policy Objects. You can import our administrative template files into your Central Store and set Slido for PowerPoint configuration directly from Group Policy Objects console.

Download Slido administrative template files (ADMX) from https://static.sli.do/sfw/Slido_admx_v1.zip

Curious about more? 

8 replies

Hello,

The sli.do addin for PowerPoint does not seem to like a proxy server with authentication.

The log:

13:55:51.775 INF] The addin is connected to Slido API through a proxy. (Proxy server address: "http://xxxxxxx:8012/").  real servername replace by xxxxx
[13:55:52.519 ERR] Unable to create a new app instance on server. Missing proxy authentication (required scheme "BASIC realm="PROXY_INTERNET"").
System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (407) Proxy Authentication Required.
   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetRequestStream(IAsyncResult asyncResult, TransportContext& context)
   at System.Net.Http.HttpClientHandler.GetRequestStreamCallback(IAsyncResult ar)

So it detects very well the correct proxyserver, but there is no prompt for a login/pwd for the proxyserver, as most programs do in such case.

William

Badge

Hi William,

Slido for Windows does not support proxy with authentication.

One option is to configure proxy to not require authentication for these domains:

• *.slido.com
  • *.sli.do
  • data.logentries.com

Regards,
Jozi

Badge

Troubleshooting

If this guidance hasn’t helped, we’re happy to help! Start a chat from our website or send us an email at support@slido.com.

Please include the log files in your email or add them as an attachment in the chat.

How to get logs

1. Click Start, type Slido and launch it
  2. Right-click the “S” icon in the system tray (bottom-right corner)
  3. Select Get logs
  4. Attach the generated .zip file to the email

Troubleshooting Slido for PowerPoint

Symptoms:

• Slido button is not available in the PowerPoint
  • Sidebar is not loading and/or it shows an error

This may be caused by the policy set in Windows Defender which prevents add-in to be loaded by PowerPoint or by blocking child processes to be created by Microsoft Office applications. If you use management software to block this kind of behavior in Microsoft Office applications, please reconfigure it to enable Slido add-in to work properly.

Slido for PowerPoint requires the process CefSharp.BrowserSubprocess.exe to be run as a child process of Microsoft PowerPoint.

If you’re using Microsoft Endpoint Manager (former Microsoft Intune) to manage the devices, you may have to configure the Attack Surface Reduction policy to enable Slido for PowerPoint.

You can adjust the Endpoint Security Policy to exclude Slido for Windows installation path from Attack Surface Reduction rules. Here are the steps:

1. Open Microsoft Endpoint Manager console
  2. Got to Endpoint security
  3. In the Manage section, open Attack surface reduction
  4. Select existing policy which has the Block all Office applications from creating child processes setting enabled
  5. Go through the wizard and configure the policy rule Exclude files and paths from attack surface reduction rules.
  6. Enter the path %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Slido\Slido for Windows to exclude Slido add-in and CefSharp browser processes from this rule
  7. Save the policy

My PPT had slido addin but when I was login to my account it wasnt let me add any poll , it still said login. I uninstalled and now its not letting me install

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @Deepshikha

It sounds as if your Slido add-in may be blocked by your organizations group policy settings. Your IT administrator should be able to assist with this. 

Let me know if this works!

Best,

Hello
Is a current version of Slido Admin MSI (1.7.0) planned?
Thanks in advance

Can older versions still access Slido services?

Users with the 1.8 version were prompted to update before they could add quiz,

does DISABLE_UPDATE_CHECKS = 1 disable this prompt?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hello @Chuan,

you are right DISABLE_UPDATE_CHECKS = 1 disables that prompt. But I would advice to install latest .MSI installer now before disabling it. Because we have now 1.9 version which is better than the 1.8 version. 

And we recommend updating Slido at least on quarterly basis for all users.