Integrate Slido with Microsoft Teams

• 24 August 2020
  • 34 replies

Badge

Adding Slido to your Microsoft Teams meeting allows your audience to submit and upvote questions, vote in polls, or participate in surveys and quizzes directly in the Teams meeting window during your call.

There’s no need for switching between apps or windows anymore!

HFu028QETQUM35YPx1En1uS_KgQReD4FJe2tLBHMgnaOBnqrB14HeBURTN1lUYjMLiMjQnZ1IbNbYDOme2bV_nB6-w00lNcK1gJ3Xn5lTvjaUmSkO2yQtZT5IXCrheF9h6KuUVLp

Click “Show content” and watch our video guide below:

Important: The integration works only with the Microsoft Teams desktop native app (not via browser). Only Microsoft Teams meetings are supported (there’s no support for Teams live events yet).

In this article:

• Add Slido to Microsoft Teams

• Add Slido to your Teams meeting

• Prepare your meeting

• Run your meeting

• Frequently asked questions

Add Slido to Microsoft Teams

To begin with, add Slido to Microsoft teams, either by using Microsoft AppSource or by opening Apps in your Teams.

Afterwards, please make sure that you have enabled Turn on new meetings experience under Microsoft Teams Settings → General

If you don’t see Slido among the apps, please contact your IT department as there might be restrictions in place and Slido app needs to be whitelisted.

Add Slido to your Teams meeting

Before you can add Slido to your meeting, please first:

1. Schedule the meeting (either via the Microsoft Teams calendar or Outlook)
  2. Invite at least one participant to the meeting if it’s scheduled via calendar (not needed with Outlook)

Afterwards, open the meeting either by:

• Clicking Edit (if the meeting’s been scheduled via the calendar)
  • OR by clicking Meeting options in the invite body (if the meeting’s been scheduled via Outlook - as shown below)

You can then add Slido to your meeting: 

1. Click the + button in the menu bar and choose Slido

2. Log in with your Slido account or sign up

3. Choose whether you wish to create a new Slido event or use an already existing one

Please note that you have to add Slido individually to each meeting where you want to use it.

Prepare your meeting

Afterwards, you can set up your polls and Q&A session as needed. 

Run your meeting

If you’ve added Slido to your Teams meeting, the audience will automatically see it right next to the video call. The admin interface is visible only to you.

During the meeting, Slido is visible both to you and the participants directly in the window during your call.

You can manage the event and the participants can interact with it without the need to switch the windows or apps.

This is how the integration works for your participants:

Alternative solution: Collect questions outside of a meeting

If you want to collect questions outside of a meeting, you can add Slido to your Teams channel.

Create or select an event and other channel members can ask and upvote questions directly there, as shown below:

Frequently asked questions

Why does an organizer need to invite participants first, before being able to add Slido app as a tab?

You only have to invite someone if the meeting’s been scheduled using Teams Calendar. When scheduling it using Outlook Calendar, you actually don’t have to invite anyone. 

Is Teams extensibility (apps) going to be supported in Teams Live Events and other types of meetings?

Yes, meeting organizers will be able to add Slido in an ad-hoc (chat) meeting, channel meeting as well as Live events (the webinar product).

Curious about more?

34 replies

Hi Slido:

Would like to know if we may set up a slido vote and comment for non-anonymous in Microsoft Teams?

Thanks,

JCC

Badge

Hi JCC,

Apologies for the later response.

It is possible to disable anonymous questions but that has to be done via Slido Admin and I’m afraid it can’t be done via MS Teams directly. You can do so if you have any of our higher paid plans by going to Settings → Features → Questions. 

Feel free to check out this article as well: https://community.sli.do/audience-q-a-42/disable-anonymous-questions-445

Best wishes,

Adam

Hi Slido,

Can external meeting participants (those outside your organisation) see Slido and answer polls etc. too?

Thanks,

Anna

Hi, we don't have a button in the menu bar. Do you know how to activate this? Already checked both web and teams app. Asked the IT guy but he couldn’t figure it out.

Badge

Hi Anna,

Thanks for the question. 

Unfortunately, this isn’t possible at the moment. But we understand that there’s a need for this, so we’re in touch with Microsoft to see what (if anything) can be done. 

Thanks for your understanding.

Adam

Badge

quyntess,

I’m sorry to hear about this.

Do you have some participants invited to the meeting? In order to be able to add apps, you should invite at least 1 person to the meeting.

If the issue persists, please let us know at experience@slido.com and we’ll take it from there.

I hope it works,

Adam

Hi Everyone,

unfortunately, I can’t add Slido-App to Teams. 

As Admin, I have ensured, that 3rd-Party Apps are allowed, in Admin-Center I can see the Slido-App is approved.  

When I want to add the app to a team or meeting, it does not occur in the list of available apps from the appstore. Clicking on the link to add the app from the slido-website, an error occurs in Teams, that the app is not existing or my company has forbidden to use it. Is it possible, that the app is yet not available in german Teams-appstore?

Many thanks in advance,

Nick

quyntess,

I’m sorry to hear about this.

Do you have some participants invited to the meeting? In order to be able to add apps, you should invite at least 1 person to the meeting.

If the issue persists, please let us know at experience@slido.com and we’ll take it from there.

I hope it works,

Adam

Yes, I do have participants invited to the meeting.

Badge

HI Nicolas - sorry for the inconvenience, we’re checking with Microsoft on the issue of availability in certain regions. We will share an update once we have a response from them.

Thanks for being patient here!

Badge

Hi quyntess, sorry for the inconvenience. Just to confirm, are you able to add third-party apps as a tab in other channels? There might be a restriction on the Meetings side.

Hi Slido Team, and what about co-managers of the event ? Is it still a feature that is possible in teams mode ? I was used to use the sharable link for my co-hosts.

Badge

Hi Plizon,

Admin in Teams is only visible to the meeting host. While you can invite guests to your Slido event to help you with the administration, this won't be reflected in the integration itself. In other words, Slido guest admins would need to access the event through www.slido.com, as they won't be able to administer it directly from Teams (only Teams host will).

I hope this helps.

Adam

Hi Slido

I am in organization X, installed Slido app and integrated into an MS Teams meeting. The Slido icon and integration worked perfectly from my colleagues in organization X.

But the attendees from organization Y could not see the icon. Organization Y is a different company, have their own MS Teams. There is external federation between the MS Teams of org X and Y.

My question is whether it just needs the IT administrator of MS Team of org Y to whitelist slido, or does the slido<>MS Teams integration only work if participant is on the same MS Teams tenant as the meeting host ?

Simon

I was able to add the app to the team, and to the meeting.  The admin view shows up properly during the meeting (I can see the questions, polls, etc), but none of the participants see the Slido app in their teams window/app.  It is the same thing in the Teams app on Windows 10, Teams web page (Chrome), and Teams app (Android).

“Turn on new meetings experience under Microsoft Teams Settings → General” is already enabled.

Any suggestions on what to check/do next?

Badge

@SimonF - As per Microsoft’s terms, federated and anonymous users don’t have access to these shared “resources”, including Meeting Apps.

Sorry for the inconvenience, I’m going to check with Microsoft if there’re any plans to change this.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/platform/apps-in-teams-meetings/teams-apps-in-meetings#user-types

Badge

@Sean M. - Could you please confirm if all participants are part of the same Teams organization and are properly signed in Teams? Thank you

Hello!

I’ve tried to use Slido via Teams today, but my participants didn’t see the poll with questions. What could be the issue?

The participants are not from the same organization.  I think that is the issue.  When I test with internal participants, it works as expected.  Unfortunately, it’s the external/guests that I wanted to target.

Hi, we don't have a button in the menu bar. Do you know how to activate this? Already checked both web and teams app. Asked the IT guy but he couldn’t figure it out.

we have exactly the same problem. I have admin level access, we can integrate slido with any channel but not with meetings. Participants are added, we just don’t see the plus to add any app to the meeting. I don’t think this is slido specific. we have already contacted Microsoft support, but any help is much appreciated. Thank you!

Badge

@hondosan Sorry to hear that, could you please confirm if you have the “New meeting experience” turned ON in the settings? Thank you!

Badge

@Sean M. - This is unfortunately a limitation on Teams’ end, I will follow up with Microsoft if they’re planning to support external guests from a different organization too. Thank you for being patient and sorry for the inconvenience.

Badge

@tatasustainability - Sorry to hear you’re experiencing such an issue. In order to provide better support, I’ll connect with you to schedule a call, if that’s ok.

Thanks for being patient!

seems this doesn’t really work very well. Can’t use it if you have people outside your organisation (I realise this is a Microsoft problem) makes no difference whose issue it is, that means it won’t work for any of my meetings 😞 I have to use the previous method using a tab -  I also have the same issue I add slido to a team and then get no + button - It worked when I tried it a couple of weeks ago but now it doesn’t. So frustrated :-( 

Badge

@ruthn1963 Sorry for the inconvenience. Would you mind if we connected this week so I can learn more about your use case and what exactly went wrong when you’re adding an app? Thank you

@hondosan Sorry to hear that, could you please confirm if you have the “New meeting experience” turned ON in the settings? Thank you!

Same experience in my case than @hondosan and @quyntess have.

“New experience” is actiavted, admin rights are granted, another colleague ist invited but there is no “+”-button to add Slido to any meeting. Unfortunately.