Question

How to create a formula for a reverse average in the ranking poll?

• 18 January 2024
  • 2 replies

Hi!

I have results from a ranking poll, in which the participants ranked 5 objects, on a 1-5 scale, where 5 was the most important, and 1 the least important. 

The result I got is an average of each object, so:

object 1 - 3.44, object 2 - 2.83… etc.

What I am trying to  establish is:

• How many people voted object 1 as the most important (5 on the scale)
  • How many people voted object 1 as 4 on the scale
  • etc.

Not sure if it's possible, but maybe you could share some ideas?

Thank you!

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hey @PPL ,

You can find more about how to run the Ranking poll from here, and I will share how we calculate the scores below. 

You can also export the Poll Results Per Participant to see how each person responded to the Ranking poll as well. This will show each participants responses separated in order with a semicolon for example: object 2, object 4, object 1, object 3, object 5 

How we calculate the scores

With the ranking poll, participants essentially give points to each option and the higher someone ranks an option, the more points it receives. Using an example of participants needing to rank 3 options, the option ranked first receives 3 points, the second gets 2 points and the third gets 1 point.

Once voting is over, we count up these points for each option and divide it by the number of people who participated in the ranking poll. This gives us an average, ranked score for each option and the option with the highest score is the most preferred one.

Example:

• There are 3 people (A, B, C) participating in a poll that consists of three options (X, Y, Z)
  • Person A submits the options in the following order: X, Y, Z
  • Person B submits the options in the following order: Y, X, Z
  • Person C submits the options in the following order: Y, X, Z
  • Option X receives 7 points (3 + 2 + 2); Option Y receives 8 points (2 + 3 + 3); Option Z receives 3 points (1 + 1 + 1)
  • Average for Option X is 2.3 (7 divided by 3); Average for Option Y is 2.7 (8 divided by 3); Average for Option Z is 1 (3 divided by 3)
  • The final order of Options is the following: Y (2.7); X (2.3); Z (1)

In case a participant does not rank all the options, the one they did not pick automatically receives 0 points. 

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Best,

Thanks so much! Super useful.