Using the control panel in Present mode allows you to create and run your polls, Q&A, and brainstorming sessions without a need for a secondary device. This is super helpful if you're a solo presenter and want to manage everything from a single screen.
You need to be logged in to your Slido account to be able to use the control panel in Present mode.
In this article:
Control panel options in Present mode
To access the control panel, follow these steps:
- Log in to your account and select your event
- Open Present mode
- In Present mode, navigate to the bottom left corner for the control panel to show up
You can do the following with Present mode control panel:
- Create polls: create your own poll from scratch or use the lightning icon to start a quick, predefined poll or a random quiz
- Control polls: activate any of your existing polls, lock the voting, hide results, or go to the next or previous poll
- Control Q&A: manage audience questions and switch to Q&A while a poll or idea topic is activate
- Gear icon options: copy the Slido link to quickly send it to your participants, disable Q&A if you only plan to use polls or quizzes only, switch to Admin mode for additional settings, and adjust present mode to your screen size.
Click the "gear" icon and select Switch to Admin panel for more options and access to Event settings.
To change the number of questions displayed in Present mode, you can zoom in and out. Select the gear icon in the control panel and then press + to zoom in and - to zoom out.
Run your polls
To activate your poll or quiz, click the green "play" button and the red "stop" button to deactivate it. You can find the list of your polls under the arrow next to the actual poll number:
Hide the results while your audience is voting by clicking the bar icon, so they're not influenced by the submissions of the others, and reveal them when you’re ready. To prevent the audience from casting any more votes while the results are being discussed, simply lock the voting.
Tip: Use your keyboard to activate/deactivate your polls or run the quiz:
To activate keyboard control, you first need to click at least once anywhere in the Present mode. Use spacebar (or enter) to activate a poll and left/right arrows to move back and forth. If a poll is active, hitting the spacebar (or enter) will deactivate the poll. If your live poll is a quiz, this will activate its next phase.
If you're not using Q&A during your event, simply click the gear icon and disable the feature. The option to ask questions will disappear from the participants' devices.
Control Q&A in Present mode
Switch from polls to Q&A
You can switch from polls to questions and back anytime, highlight the question that's being answered and send it to the archive afterwards. To display the audience questions while a poll or idea topic is activated, navigate to the control panel and click Show Q&A.
Highlight questions and mark them as answered
Hover on the question and click the "arrow up" icon to highlight the question and pin it to the top. Afterwards, mark it as answered by hitting the checkmark icon. This will remove the question from Present mode and make room for the new ones.
Q&A moderation needs to be turned off. Otherwise, new questions won't be displayed in Present mode.
Activate an idea topic
You can activate or deactivate brainstorming topics directly from Present mode. To do that, you need to enable the Ideas feature in your Event settings and create your topics in Admin mode in advance. Learn more about how to Brainstorm and collect Ideas.
To launch a topic via the control panel in Present mode, click the play button labelled "Topic".
Keyboard shortcuts for controlling Slido from Present mode
Here's a summary of how to use your keyboard to control Slido from Present mode:
- To turn on keyboard controls, enter Present mode and click anywhere on your screen
- Space: To activate or deactivate a poll (or an Idea topic), press the ‘space’ (or enter) key. Once a poll is live, moving the arrow keys will automatically activate the next or previous one.
- To skip a poll, use the arrow keys. Make sure you do this before a poll is activated.
- If you have a live quiz, pressing the 'space' (or enter) key will move to quiz's next phase.
- To hide the control panel, click on the “X” button. Afterwards, it will appear only when you move your mouse closer to this area.
Curious about more?