Switcher Troubleshooting

• 24 August 2020
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Sometimes the network restrictions, older operating system or slow internet connection can affect Switcher’s performance.

When using Switcher, make sure you're logged in as Admin on your secondary device.

This article discusses the following issues:

General requirements

To make sure Switcher runs smoothly, check if you have the minimum version of your operating system installed:

MS Windows macOS
  • Windows 10 2004 or newer
  • .NET Framework 4.6.2
macOS 11 or higher

I can't download Switcher

If you’re having issues downloading and installing Switcher, you might need to check the following:

• Whether your computer settings prevent you from downloading/installing programs
  • Whether there are any connection or network restrictions
  • Whether there are any firewall restrictions

You might need to contact your IT department to find out.

Switcher doesn't load

If you see the pulsing green dot after you’ve logged in or you can’t get in at all, try checking your Internet connection. When the connection is weak or unstable, it sometimes might cause Switcher to disconnect.

In case you are connected to the Internet using a firewall or via a proxy server, make sure that the following addresses are whitelisted (you might need to contact your IT department for this):

Firewall exceptions for Windows and Mac computers
  • *.sli.do
  • *.slido.com
  • log-api.newrelic.com

If Switcher doesn’t load even when your Internet connection is stable and the mentioned addresses are whitelisted, please follow these steps:

I’m using a Windows computer

To access the Diagnostic window on a Windows computer:

1. Open Switcher
  2. Click on Switcher icon in the taskbar
  3. Click on Diagnostics
  4. The Diagnostic window opens
  5. Click on “Save to file”
  6. Send the file to support@slido.com (please mention if any status on the left side is “OFF”)

I'm using a Mac computer

To access Checkme on a Mac computer:

1. Open Switcher
  2. Right-click anywhere and choose Inspect element
  3. Open the “Console” tab
  4. At the bottom, manually type: location="https://checkme.sli.do" and press Enter
  5. Copy the link from Checkme and send it to support@slido.com

Switcher for Windows

If you’re using Windows, Switcher might show the following error message: Sorry, it seems you are offline.

These steps can help to resolve this issue:

1. Add firewall (or proxy) exceptions allowing outcoming connections to *.sli.do, *.slido.com and log-api.newrelic.com domains.
  2. Sometimes, you might need to add these exceptions also to the proxy configuration (Switcher uses the same proxy settings, as the PC). If you do not have the right to do such a change, ask your network administrator or IT department.
  3. If the offline status persists, try out a workaround by clicking the “ Try again ” button while holding the “ Ctrl ” key. This should take you straight to the Switcher application.

If the above steps didn't resolve the issue, please collect your logs (Diagnostic window) and send them to us.

Switcher for Mac

If you are having trouble with offline status on Mac computer, it can result in showing the following system message: The Internet connection appears to be offline

These steps can help to resolve this issue:

1. Add firewall (or proxy) exceptions allowing outcoming connections to *.sli.do, *.slido.com and data.logentries.com domains.
  2. Sometimes, you might need to add these exceptions also to the proxy configuration (Switcher uses the same proxy settings, as the PC). If you do not have the right to do such a change, ask your network administrator or IT department.

If the above steps didn't resolve the issue, please run Checkme and send the results to us.

I can't see “Switch button” or “Switch to presentation” option on the secondary device

If you can't see the “Switch button” or “Switch to presentation” option in your admin, please check the following:

1. Check in the Switcher application whether Switcher remote control is ON
  2. Check that you didn't quit Switcher, but only minimized it.
  3. Check if you are logged in under the same account and event both on your secondary device and in Switcher.
  4. When using multiple rooms, check if you manage the same room in Switcher on the secondary device as you do in the event admin (Switcher controls only the room which it has selected).
  5. Try to refresh the admin on the secondary device.

If any from these steps listed above don't help, please start a chat or send us an email.

Switcher isn't switching between Slido and the presentation

When you can see the “Switch button” on the secondary device but Switcher is not switching between Slido and the presentation, try to use keyboard shortcuts Ctrl + Alt + D for Windows or Ctrl + Option/Alt + D for Mac to display Slido. This is a quick workaround when Switcher and Slido admin aren’t communicating with each other.

If you have multiple screens connected to your Mac computer, make sure you have selected a screen on which you want to show Slido.

Selecting the correct screen on a Mac computer

If you are experiencing the issues mentioned above, please contact us at support@slido.com.

In case you are using a Windows computer, please attach the logs from the diagnostic window. It could speed up the process to get you back on track.

I need to enable/disable tracking

In case there's an issue with Switcher that we'd need to check on the backend, it's recommended to have tracking on so we can check the logs is a key thing!

I’m using a Windows computer

To enable/disable tracking on a Windows computer:

1. Open Switcher.
  2. Navigate to the task bar tray in the bottom right, opening the collapsable menu as needed to get the little grey "S".
  3. Right click the grey "S" to get the menu with Tracking Settings.
  4. Click Tracking Settings. A window will pop up on Switcher allowing you to Enable/Disable Tracking.

Changing tracking settings on a Windows computer

I’m using a Mac computer

To enable/disable tracking on a Mac computer:

1. Open Switcher
  2. Navigate to the MAC Menu Bar (next to the system clock)
  3. Click on the little circle with the "S".
  4. Click "Tracking Settings". Switcher should display an option that allows you to Enable/Disable Tracking.

Changing tracking settings on a Mac computer

Compatibility with other software and devices

It is also possible to use Switcher with some other applications.

Working: AirPlay, Zoom
Not working: ClickShare

Curious about learning more?

2 replies

I click the Log In button, it opens a new window (shown here), says I am logged in…. then the Switcher app loops back to the log in screen. Any others having this issue? I have tried multiple times. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @christyfosse,

Could you check if you are logged in under the same account and event both on your secondary device and in Switcher? This could be causing the issue. 

If this still doesn’t help, could you try Troubleshooting or contacting our support team at support@slido.com. They should be able to assist with this. 

Let me know if you have any more questions!