Use moderation and manage audience questions

• 24 August 2020
  • 25 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

There are a few things that can help you run a great Q&A. Highlight the questions that are being answered live and send them to the archive by marking them as answered afterwards. With the moderation feature, you can filter out all inappropriate or irrelevant ones.

There's no limit on how many questions your participants can submit.

In this article:

Control questions with Q&A moderation

Available in our Professional plan and higher.

Moderation allows you to review the questions submitted by the participants before they appear live for everyone to see. You can turn it on in the Audience Q&A tab by clicking Turn on moderation.

Turn on Q&A moderation for your event

Incoming questions can be reviewed in the For review section. All approved questions are in the Live section. 

To moderate incoming questions:

1. Go to Questions
  2. In For review tab click the green check button to approve the question 
  3. Click the red cross button to dismiss the question

file.php?view=Y&file=st1alg15n3sv7y2ad524najolsijaqwk.gif

If you see a typo in a question, you can edit it.

How it works for participants:
Once a participant submits their question, it appears as Waiting for review for them. They can then edit their question for up to 5 minutes after you approve it. The edited question will appear in "For review" and you then decide whether to approve the changes. Participants can also withdraw their questions at any point. Withdrawn questions will disappear for participants, but they will show up for you as anonymous when you click on ‘Archive’.

Questions in participant view  now automatically recognizes Topics, based on questions asked. You don’t have to do anything, just ensure if you’re moderating that the questioned are live and not archived.

Highlight questions

You can use the highlight feature to make it obvious for the audience which question is being discussed. When highlighted, the question stays at the top of the list of questions. This affects both the Present and Participant mode.

file.php?view=Y&file=971fdsp81fyr3kq006xy5krct3sw2ohl.gif

Mark questions as answered or archive them

Once the question has been answered, you can easily hide it by clicking the Mark as answered to make room for the next question. If you don't wish to mark a question as answered, simply Archive it.

The questions will remain stored in the archive and will be available also in your exports and analytics. You can restore a question from the archive by going to the Archive tab and clicking the Restore button. The question will reappear in the Live Q&A.

file.php?view=Y&file=1axel3621li1d8ar9ersbebnv75zd1fs.gif

You can control your Q&A also directly from Present mode. Learn more.

Label questions

Labels offer an easy solution to categorize and filter questions, making your meetings or Q&A sessions more structured and efficient. Read more about Labels here.

Curious about more?

25 replies

I am trying to figure out if (and then how) I would use question managers so the host/presenter is not dealing with typing and moderating Q&A.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi @Robb,

You could use
guest access to invite others to your Slido admin. They will be able to moderate the Q&A for the presenter.

Is this what you’re looking for?

Hi - can you let me know if the moderator doesn’t approve a question does the person submitting that question get notice? Eg. if there was something inappropriate on the question that could not be put through to the live audience and the moderator does not approve it...

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi, @Davy

When the moderation is on, the person who sent the question will see Waiting for review tag next to their question until you approve or dismiss it. 

Here's how it looks for participants when the question is in “For review” section: 

If preferred you can also send a private message to the participant.

In case you decide to dismiss the question, it will disappear from the participant’s device and automatically moves to the archive:

Hope this helps!

Best, 

Would it be possible to get a tutorial to help the collaborators understand how use the Q&A’s ?  

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi @dtracy,

We have plenty of great videos on our Youtube channel that we recommend sharing with collaborators to get them ready to help you with your events!

Here’s a great video on Q&A specifically: 

We also have Slido Academy playlist to help you set everything up.

Let me know if you found these useful! :) 

Hi - Can you turn off the voting function in the Q&A (disabling the audience’s ability to ‘vote-up’ questions)? 

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi @Don,

Unfortunately, it’s not possible to disable upvoting questions. 

However, what we can do is to hide the number of upvotes both in Participant and Present views. Please note that this won’t affect the actual functionality of the feature, upvote button will still be visible and questions will still change order according to popularity, you just won’t be able to see the number of upvotes for each question. 

If you’re interested in this partial customization, please email our team at support@slido.com and provide them with a link to the event you’d like this to be applied to. 

Please let me know if this could work for you or if I can help in any other way! 😊

Hi, is the moderator role can change to my colleagues?

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi @Jesslyn,

Sure, you can add your colleagues to your event as guests and they’ll get access to the moderation part of Slido to help you out!

You can find all about guest collaborators and how to add them to your event in this article:

Let me know if you need any help setting up!  

Hi, is it possible to combine similar questions into one (and combine the votes cast for them)?

Another question 🙂 Is it possible to delete or edit my own question?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @Maciej Sniezek 

Combining similar questions from your participants into one isn’t possible with slido, however, your participants can upvote any answers that are displayed to them when presenting. This would provide an alternative to see the popularity of an answer submitted. 

If you are asking questions as the presenter to your audience, you can merge and edit polls to your requirements. When you are presenting, through our moderation options, you can mark your question as answered, or archive it to move on.

Hope this helps! Our customer care team are available 24/5 via chat accessible from your slido admin, or by emailing support@slido.com if you need further assistance and are happy to help!😊

Can a moderator answer questions after an event is over? If so, can participants see these answers?

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hey @MSMEFY,

Yes, event owners and moderators have access to the event until it’s deleted. Simply reply to questions in the Q&A and then sharing the link to the event with your participants. You can find the exact steps in this tutorial:

Hope this helps :) Let me know if you need anything else!

Hi all

New to Slido and just settting up our account. We’d like to collect Questions from the audience, but only want the moderator to see those questions via Ipad/tablet. Not the audience.  The moderate may then group similar questions together for discussion with panelists. Can we manage that? and which Package do we need to purchase to do that?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hello @Carolyn Gill 

Thanks for the question. Showing questions to the audience is our core feature. This way other people can upvote questions and you will receive an instant information about which question is important to the majority of your participants. 

Achieving the use-case that you mentioned would not be possible with any of our plans. 

Thank you @Ondrej from Slido 

OK, so all participants can see questions submitted by other participants. 

But I suppose that the moderator can surely decide which questions they see? What if somebody asks an irrelevant or inappropriate question?

And if attendees can see the questions, I guess we can disactivate the up-vote feature?  The moderator does not wish the questions to be jumping around depending on votes, and may wish to amalgamate several similar questions together into one generic question to asks the panellists to address.  How do we manage that?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hello @Carolyn Gill,

Yes it is possible to decide which questions they see. Your moderator can decide which question will be approved by using our moderation feature which is available from our Professional plan. 

It is not possible to disable the voting feature. But there is a topic feature that groups the questions into a different topics. Here is a short guide showing how it works.

HI all,

I love Slido, you have an awesome product :)

I just ran an onsite event recently where by moderator and panelists were given iPads to review incoming questions. With moderation turned on we can hide and select questions we would like to publish to attendees.

However, the moderation panel on the left of page is small and better suited if monitoring on a laptop or larger screen. It would be great that panelists on stage with an iPad could have a larger view of the moderation list like in presentation view.

Could this be done?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hello @Gabriel.csng,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. At this point the only way of moderating the questions can be done as your moderators did. We will share your feedback with our team so they can have it for future development of our product. 

But currently the only option is doing it via the iPads as your moderators and panelists were doing it. 

Hi there,

Is it possible to for moderator to answer question without showing it live? but the participant who asked the question is able to view the reply.

Badge

Hey @Casper ,

Replies to live questions are visible to everyone in the Participant mode. ​​​​​When a question gets archived and contains a reply, it will remain visible to the author of the question.

So if you archive the question, and then reply, it will be visible to the person who asked and not to anyone else.

Hope this helps!

Hi, how can I adjust the layout or colors for questions to the audience? 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hey @Jenni ,

You can add customer colors and branding to your event if you have our Professional Plan or higher.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Best,