The ranking poll is ideal if you wish for your participants to rank options in the order of importance or preference, so you can learn what resonates with your audience the most.
Click “Show content” and watch our video guide below:
In this article:
- Create your ranking poll
- How it works for your participants
- How we calculate the scores
Create your ranking poll
In your Slido event, go to the Live polls tab and select Ranking poll. Just ask a question, add the options and let your participants vote:
- Set number of options to rank
This setting allows you to limit the number of options that you want your audience to rank. For instance, you can ask them to vote for their top 3 preferred options.
- Randomize options
This setting will put the given options in a random order for each participant.
How it works for your participants
This is how the ranking poll works for your participants. They can order options using both tapping and drag & drop.
How we calculate the scores
With the ranking poll, participants essentially give points to each option and the higher someone ranks an option, the more points it receives. Using an example of participants needing to rank 3 options, the option ranked first receives 3 points, the second gets 2 points and the third gets 1 point.
Once voting is over, we count up these points for each option and divide it by the number of people who participated in the ranking poll. This gives us an average, ranked score for each option and the option with the highest score is the most preferred one.
- There are 3 people (A, B, C) participating in a poll that consists of three options (X, Y, Z)
- Person A submits the options in the following order: X, Y, Z
- Person B submits the options in the following order: Y, X, Z
- Person C submits the options in the following order: Y, X, Z
- Option X receives 7 points (3 + 2 + 2); Option Y receives 8 points (2 + 3 + 3); Option Z receives 3 points (1 + 1 + 1)
- Average for Option X is 2.3 (7 divided by 3); Average for Option Y is 2.7 (8 divided by 3); Average for Option Z is 1 (3 divided by 3)
- The final order of Options is the following: Y (2.7); X (2.3); Z (1)